Membership in the Society by way of Subscribing to the Shares:
The Society have following categories of membership:
- Ordinary members
- Nominal / Associate members
Any Individual and entity, fulfilling the following criteria, shall be admitted as a member of the Society:
- An individual, competent to contract under section 11 of the Indian Contract Act. 1872.
- Any multi-state-co-operative society or any co-operative societies.
- The Central Government.
- The state Governments.
- The National Co-operative Development Corporation established under the National Co-Operative Development Corporation Act, 1962.
- Any other Corporation owned or Controlled by the Government.
- Any Government company as defined in Section 617 of the Companies Act, 1956.
- Such Class or classes of persons or associations of person may be permitted by the Central Registrar having regard to the nature and activities of a multi-state co-operative society.
Conditions for ordinary membership:
An applicant will be enrolled as ordinary member upon fulfilling the following Conditions.
- He has applied in writing in the prescribed form.
- He has paid admission fee Rs.100 and is willing to acquire at least one share with a face value of Rs.1000/- of the Society.
- He has given a declaration that he is not a member of any other similar co-operative society.
- He has fulfilled all other conditions laid down in the acts, the rules and the bye-laws.
- The Board of Directors of the Society approves the application to admit as members.
- Should be resident in the State of Kerala or Karnataka.
No person shall be eligible for an admission as a member of a society, if he:
- Has not attained the age of 18 years.
- Has been adjudged by a competent court to be an insolvent or an undischarged insolvent.
- Has been sentenced for any offence, other than offence of a political character or an offence involving moral turpitude and dishonesty and a period of five years has not elapsed from the date expiry of the sentence.
Application for Membership and its disposal:
- The Application for membership of the Society shall be submitted by the applicant to the Chief Executive of the Society in the prescribed form, accompanied by admission fee of Rs.100/-. An applicant shall also subscribe at least one fully paid share at the time of application.
- The application for membership of the Society found complete in all respects shall be disposed of within a period of four months from the date of receipt of the application by the society and the same shall be communicated to the applicant within fifteen days of the decision.
Votes of members and manner of voting:
- Every member of the Society shall have one vote in the affairs of the society.
- In case of equality of votes, the Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
- Every member of the Society shall exercise his vote in person and no member shall be permitted to vote in proxy.
Expulsion of a Member:
- A multi-state cooperative society may, by resolution passed by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting at a general meeting of members held for the purpose, expel a member for acts which are detrimental to the proper working of the society.
- Provided that the member concerned shall not be expelled unless he has been given a reasonable opportunity of making representation in the matter.
- No member of the multi-state cooperative society, who has been expelled under sub-section shall be eligible for re-admission as a member of that society, for a period of one year from the date of such expulsion.
Withdrawal and resignation of a member:
- A member may withdraw and resign his membership after two years and giving at least 3 months’ notice in writing and withdraw his share capital with the approval of the Board of Directors.
- The approval shall not be given while such a member if indebted, to the society.
- During any calendar year, the aggregate withdrawals shall not exceed 10% of the total paid-up share capital as at 31st March of the preceding years.
- A member who withdraws or resign his membership will not be allowed to the come a member again for a period of two years from the date of the resignation unless he repays the amount withdrawn by him from the society.
Every member of a multi-state cooperative society, including a member who is an employee of such society, shall have one vote in the affairs of the society.
Provided that, a member who is an employee of such society shall not be entitled to vote at the election of a member of the board of such society; or in any general meeting convened for framing the bye-laws of such society or any amendments thereto.
Nominal / Associate member
The Society at its discretion may-admit a person on payment of a non-refundable fee of Rs. 100/- as a nominal / associate member provided that no such nominal/associate member shall be entitled to subscribe to the shares of the society or have any interest in the management thereof including right to vote, be elected as a director of the board or participate in the general body meetings.